Managing and Preventing the Dangers of Mold Growth

Mold can grow anywhere as long as there’s moisture. It can grow at your home, in school, or at work. Mold growth is not something that we actually should ignore primarily because it can pose great harm to our health.

More often than not, mold growth is caused by leaky pipes and other types of water damage. This is the exact reason why regular checkups on your walls, ceilings, and furniture should be done. In small growths, molds are not harmful. However, as it thrives to grow on the surface, it becomes increasingly harmful because its spores are actually airborne. These spores when inhaled or ingested to the system, can cause serious health problems that may lead to death.

Managing and Preventing the Dangers of Mold Growth

The most toxic molds are actually those that produce mycotoxins. These mycotoxins are generally known to cause adverse and hypersensitivity reactions in animals, as well as humans. This is why if you see growth mold, you must take measures to remove them whether it produces mycotoxins or not and no matter how small the growth is.

Clinical Manifestations of Mold Exposure

Although not everyone in the building or at home will actually react to these molds, someone will probably will. It is also very important to note that the manifestations of mold exposure may vary from one person to another. Here are some of the common manifestations you may observe with those that react to the exposure:

  • Eyes, nose, and throat irritation.
  • Skin allergies or dermatitis
  • Respiratory problems such as asthma and pneumonia
  • Fever and flu symptoms
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting
  • Fatigue and dizziness

These symptoms when left untreated may cause complicate the problems. It is also very important that you mention any mold growth to your doctor so that the course of treatment will gradually achieve its desired outcome.

How to Eradicate Mold Growth

Managing and Preventing the Dangers of Mold Growth
  • First and foremost, you need to wear protective gears when cleaning up the mold to prevent ingesting or inhaling their spores. Wear a mask (preferably an N-95 mask) to prevent spore inhalation, gloves to prevent skin contact, and goggles to protect the eyes.
  • Make sure that you will totally clean up the wet area and dry them within 24-48 hours. This is very applicable to those with water damage, leaks, or those who experienced flooding.
  • Remove the molds off the surfaces by using a scrub. Use detergents with natural tea tree oil and apple cider vinegar for removal.
  • Wash the entire surface with clean water after scrubbing.
Managing and Preventing the Dangers of Mold Growth

Throw away any item that has been infested with mold growth.

Do not paint the moldy surfaces as it will not really remove the cause of the growth.

If mold growth is severe, contact a professional that can remove the molds.

This entry was posted in Home Safety. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.